Areas of Expertise
"I wish to acknowledge the expertise of my editor, Ms. Catherine Viel, who has worked carefully and unstintingly on this manuscript." --Bernard W. Bail, MD, author of Irmgard's Flute and other titles
- Substantive / Content / Line Editing
- Web Content Writing / Editing
- Business & Marketing Writing / Editing
- Technical Writing / Editing
- Nonfiction Books
- Fiction (Genre / Mainstream)
- Short Stories
- Newsletters / Brochures
- Marketing / Ad Copy
- Manuals / Workbooks
- Website Copy
Career Background / Experience
"My heartfelt gratitude goes to my editor, Catherine Viel. . . . Catherine's encouragement, patience, and expertise helped bring more life to my words in a nonintrusive, gentle way. You are a joy to work with." --Susan Smith Jones, PhD, author of Be Healthy~Stay Balanced and other titles
Writer and Editor, WriteCat Communications, Santa Barbara, California
Professional writer and editor with over twenty-five years’ experience. Thorough, accurate, alert; respectful of client deadlines. Expert electronic editing; adept with style sheets and publishers’ guidelines. Consummate command of style and reference resources (Chicago Manual of Style, et al.). BA in Literature, University of California, Santa Barbara; copyediting certificate from University of California, San Diego.
- Writing. Published writer of original nonfiction and fiction. Extensive client-directed writing experience.
- Substantive editing. Analyze manuscript; determine areas for comprehensive improvement. In collaboration with author, help revise manuscript to promote a logical, cohesive, compelling work.
- Copyediting and proofreading. Provide in-depth editing of manuscript content. Ensure that syntax, grammar, punctuation, spelling, and usage conform to applicable style manuals and publishers’ guidelines. Provide sensitive, intelligent, and valuable feedback. Work closely with author to ensure polished final manuscript. Proofread prepress material.
Technical Writer, Pacific Capital Bancorp, Santa Barbara, California
"Catherine: I truly appreciate your skilled editing, patience, experience and dedication to our book. Your knowledge, guidance and light touch in this editing process brought out the best in me as a writer." --Jean Kubelun, PhD, coauthor of Life as a Mother-in-Law
- Created and copyedited comprehensive policies and operational procedures used by personnel at forty bank branches throughout California.
- Analyzed, copyedited, and proofread policies, memoranda, correspondence, and other material created by management and staff.
Technical Writer, Medtronic PS Medical, Santa Barbara, California
"Without Catherine's skillful, sensitive, supportive guidance throughout the editing process of our book, we would not have rated 5 stars on Amazon.com; 3 maybe. She nudged, encouraged, and stretched us as writers well beyond our own expectations...and with such a gentle hand. She is a marvel." --Olivia Slaughter, PhD, coauthor of Life as a Mother-in-Law
- Wrote text and designed layout for complex documentation accompanying a variety of manufactured medical devices, working in conjunction with internal and external compliance, regulatory, engineering, and marketing personnel.
- Managed documentation approval processes and multilingual translations of Instructions for Use and product labels.
- Ensured that properly formatted, consistently error-free electronic and graphic files of Instructions for Use, product labels, and other marketing materials were provided to outside printer vendors.
Education / Certification
- Copyediting certificate, UC San Diego
- Bachelor of Arts, Literature, College of Creative Studies, UC Santa Barbara
- Spanish and French coursework
© 2001-2018, Catherine Viel, WriteCat Communications, Santa Barbara, CA, firstname.lastname@example.org